Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 Year in Review

Last year I chose a word for the year. That word was LESS. This year saw less of a lot of things and more of some other. I am not sure I did the best job with the "less" focus, however; wrapping up the year I find that there is about 15 pounds less of me. So that is something to be thankful for! I fit in my skinny jeans again! Keep in mind my skinny jeans are size 10, so it's all relative.

2011 was a whopper of a year for the Wile family full of both challenge and adventure! We started the year with a peaceful January and then February went off with a bang-- Remi had an appendectomy followed ten days later by invasive surgery to correct a complete bowel obstruction! It was excruciatingly painful, but God's peace was with us and Remi was truly a trooper. Andy's Mama Ruby and Great Grama Faye had some copycat abdominal surgeries shortly thereafter. Not to be outdone, Andy's brother, Uncle Bug broke several vertebrate, his sternum and all kinds of crazy ribs while leaving his spinal cord intact! We are so thankful for his amazing recovery. Not to be left out, his bride, Bernie took a dive off a porcelain throne that resulted in stitches and a cool lighting bolt scar on her forehead. All this without mind altering drugs! I am happy to report a favorable survival rate of 100%. All jesting aside we are so thankful that all these precious people are still here with us.

This spring we moved out of our beautiful 2400 sqft house on 2 acres and into an itty bitty 1100 sqft trailer on 40 acres! We've gotten a little fowl crazy. We started off with 10 chicks and a pair of goslings…. and have since added 11 keets and 3 more hens….. for a grand total of 10 hens, 1 rooster, 6 guinea fowl and a goose! Needless to say the numbers don't add up and we have learned a thing or two about death, especially by bobcat. Our latest acquisition is a pair of Great Pyrenese/GSD mix puppies, who we hope will grow up to scare away bobcats. =) We also have a pair of indoor kitties AND a pair of outdoor kitties… and a few goats. Needless to say, Doug and Rosie are not very pleased. We, however, are ecstatic. The hens have begun laying and we just got to give away our first dozen eggs! It's been our prayer that we would be able to bless others with the fruit of this land, and God willing, we hope to continue on that path.

This year I have had some crazy health issues of my own. I was hobbling around early this Summer like a little old lady in the day time and at night I was waking up confused and terrified. It was quickly worsening and quite alarming. I had lots of medical tests which showed I was in perfect health, aside from mild sleep apnea and heart burn. I started researching and I read a lot about Candida online, I read some books ("Real Food" and "The Fungus Link") and saw a movie called, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". I quit a long term relationship with Flonase and made some drastic changes to my diet. The hobbling and pain in my feet and limbs is completely gone and I am sleeping much more peacefully. I am so grateful for this journey toward good health!

This fall we also began classically educating our kids (Remi is 9, Rhett is 6 and Rhyson just turned 5)at home. We joined a Classical Conversations community where we receive tutoring and do science projects and presentations once a week. The rest of the week, Mom is the teacher. We all love it! It is a huge challenge and also a big adventure. This year I read "A Thomas Jefferson Education" and was so inspired! I am receiving a classical education along side my kids. I love it! And, yes, sometimes I am pulling my hair out too! Our CC group is a huge blessing! We commute 25 minutes to our group and to our surprise we met 3 other families from our small town. And just when I was starting to feel all alone in the middle of nowhere. =) Now just 6 months after moving here, I am blessed with a group of new friends. We meet weekly for breakfast and it is such an encouragement!

Andy is still working for the postal service. He is in Labor Relations these days and he seems to enjoy representing the management side in labor disputes… I keep teasing that he may need to go back to school for a law degree since he is already so good at 'lawyering'. Even though we moved farther away from town, Andy's commute is only about 5 minutes longer. He is loving living out here a
and becoming a real lumber jack!

We are so thankful for God's faithfulness and provision this year. May we glorify Him in 2012! I have been keeping my eyes and ears open for a word for next year.... maybe that is just it. Word!

Wishing you a blessed 2012 that surpasses your wildest dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment